Tuesday, February 19, 2008

New Blog Post

Well, two friends have mentioned my blog in the past 24 hours - which I guess is a sign that I need to update it. Sadly, as I think about my life over the past two weeks, there isn't a whole lot of stuff that is blog-appropriate nor worthy, in my mind, of y'alls time. But I suppose I can think of something.


.....

So! The snow storm passed.... only to be replaced by another. Snow! Twice in Jerusalem in one month! What is happening to the world! This snow is a little less pervasive than the last, and as I've worked out my snow protection program, it's a bit easier to deal with. That being said, Jerusalem has treated us to some of it's most beautiful spring-preview weather. The weather between snow storms was the stuff California dreams are made of. Clear, sunny, warm-ish, and spring-inspiring. All those fun springtime feelings popped up for just a minute before being dashed away under a layer of snow, rain, and winds-like-you-wouldn't-believe. Sticking true to my colors, I've been trying to get out and enjoy this city. I got my fall semester grades and was inspired by them to say "ok, I've got the student thing down - now I'm going to get the Israel thing down." How is that going - one might ask. Well, in terms of getting out and meeting Israelis, I think it's going rather well. In terms of getting out of Jerusalem.... eeeeeeeh.... not so good.

I, like many of my classmates, sit on a variety of "committees" - of course, by some cosmic joke, all of my committees require copious amounts of time, effort, and each of them requires planning a Shabbaton. Now, my years of working for Hillel have made me a good event planner in terms of the tachlis, the details, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I enjoy spending my time thusly. Yes... I said "thusly". No no... I'm not griping. Well, yes I am. But I guess this is what you get when you ask me for a blog during a time when there's obviously not much about which to "blog".

In other news: I've been playing my guitar more. It's pretty much been sitting in its case in the living room, gathering dust for the past few months. But a new friend has inspired me to make music again - which, since the weather is so gross and there's not much that I'm willing to schlep out into the rain to do - has been a good use of time. That and studying, of course.

OH! And the most exciting bit of news: my dearest darling friend Casey from Seattle came to Israel on birthright! Which was exciting to me for a variety of reasons, the foremost being: a) I got to see him again, and b) he got a taste of this Israel place. Casey also traveled with a great group of people, so while I got to spend some quality time with my old friend, I also made a few new friends in the process. It's always good to have friends, no?

So there's my update. It's pretty pareve but it's what is going on. When something really and truly exciting happens, I'll let you know. But right now, it's business as usual in the Holy Land.

No comments: