Thursday, November 1, 2007

היומ יומ הולדת

Translation "Today is [my] birthday!"

Which is not true... My birthday WAS October 29th (Monday). First off, I rarely ever do this, but I have to use this blog-space to put out a huge thanks to everyone, both here and around the world, who made this birthday so special. I've spent the majority of my birthdays in the recent past away from home, and as such, am pretty used to not being in Portland on the date of my birth. This birthday really reinforced my understanding of the term "home is where the heart is," as I celebrated with my "Jerusalem Family" while the well-wishes from friends and family abroad poured in. I feel so lucky and, well, blessed to have such wonderful friends, and such a close supportive and up-for-fun community here.

My actual birthday, Monday, was a crazy day. I volunteered to read Torah that morning (every Monday morning we have student-led services as one of our requirements - we each have to read Torah, give a sermon, and lead services at one point throughout the year). Not only was it special to read Torah on my birthday, BUT it was also the bat mitzvah of my bat mitzvah, AND it was the same Torah portion I read on my bat mitzvah (because the Torah readings are dictated by the lunar calendar, and we read a different portion every week, it's rare that Torah portions occur on the same date very often). AND, to make it even more exciting for the geekier among us (i.e. myself for sure), the portion contained this super special trope (cantillation mark) called the "shalshelet" which only appears three times in the book of Genesis! Big doins! And it sounds pretty neat too! Thanks to Ross for helping me out w/ this reading by making me recordings of the verses! I'm learning that I really enjoy Torah chanting. There's something really intimidating, and, well, awesome about reading from the Torah itself. Especially now that I have a better understanding of the language and have a better sense of what it is I'm actually saying.

Other than reading from the Torah on Monday, the day itself was pretty boring. I mean, hey, don't get me wrong, sitting in classes for 8 hours is always fun - especially on one's birthday. Also exciting is that a good friend of mine's brand new niece was born on my birthday. I realize that other people share my birthday, but it was sort of special to get a text at 8pm on the 28th saying "hey, my sister in law is in labor" and then to find out the next day that the kid held out and didn't come out on the 28th, but the 29th! She and I already have so much in common.

That evening Rabbi Rosen and Barry had a get together at their beautiful apartment across the street from school for a few of my friends. We had all been in school until 6:15, so we were a tad exhausted, but it was the perfect way to end the day - and the perfect way to celebrate my birthday!


Me and Brian
Reading the e-card that Mom sent to me on my birthday
Fancy Pug
Barry, me and Rabbi Rosen



Last night, Halloween, the celebration continued at Dublin Pub in downtown Jerusalem. I've always had Halloween-associated birthdays, so why stop this year!??! Quite a few friends showed up, and it was, as birthday parties go, a good time!

Jill, Jen, and Me at Dublin

Ran, Me and Brian - looking elsewhere... oh well


All told - while it's always hard to be away from family and friends, this birthday didn't feel quite as hard being surrounded by new friends and new family. And birthdays in Israel are great! A country full of Jewish-grandmothers wishing you a "Mazal Tov" and being, seemingly, genuinely excited about birthdays... it's pretty great.

That's all the news for now! Will write more at a later date when something more interesting than classes and homework appear in my life.

No comments: