Well, I am just beginning my third week in Israel, and I think that I can finally say that I feel settled. Oh sure, there are a few little things here and there that I need to do, but on the whole, I'm feeling at home here, and comfortable - which is amazing!
I will backtrack a little, just for the sake of bringing this blog to life, and, up-to-speed.
I arrived in Israel on Friday, June 29th, and was immediately welcomed by the amazingly gracious and wonderful Rosen family (some of you may know Rabbi Rosen, her husband Barry, and of course, their pug, Fancy). It was so nice to go from a long day of travel directly to the loving home of such amazing people - especially people who speak English! (Helped to delay the culture shock for a few days).
I am so glad that my first day in Israel was Shabbat - what better way to reintroduce myself to Jerusalem than on her most beautiful, and quiet, day of the week. Kim and Barry took us (Barry's nephew was visiting after his Birthright trip as well), to the most amazing place for Saturday lunch - a goat farm. Now wait... this was not your ordinary goat farm (not that I know what an "ordinary" goat farm is, but I have my ideas). It is located just outside Tel Aviv in the fields where, archaeologists believe that David slew Goliath. I mean, talk about history! At any rate, the scenery was beautiful (historically accurate or not), and the restaurant which is the highlight of the farm was simply amazing. When we sat down the waiter immediately brought us a beautiful plate of cheese (made there, of course), fresh-baked bread and house wine. Just when I was ready to gorge myself on the tantalizing spread, dayenu, they brought out more! Amazing salads, and small dishes that comprised a very generous meal - and quite tasty at that. We spent the afternoon enjoying the beautiful scenery, and relaxed feel of Israelis (secular of course) enjoying their day of rest. (see baby goats above!)
The next day I moved into my, beautiful, apartment - located just steps away from school, and just about everything else in Jerusalem. The week was spent getting settled during the day, while getting to know some of my classmates in the evenings. The school, HUC (Hebrew Union College) has summer interns, usually current HUC students in their fourth year of the program, who set up all kinds of informal orientation activities for incoming students. All in all, it was a nice way to slowly get to know my classmates while taking in some Yerushalmy culture.
Finally, we began to get down to brass tacks this past week with our official HUC orientation. And boy did they orient us!
This week we began our intensive Hebrew program, Ulpan, which will last until the end of the summer. The goal of which is to, obviously, improve our Hebrew! I'm having an interesting time finding exactly which class-level fits me best, but I have faith that I'll land where I am supposed to.
So... there's the bare story of my first three weeks here, in a nutshell! I am having a wonderful time reacquainting myself with this city, and getting to know my classmates. It is amazing how, no matter how long one has been gone from this place, it can feel like home.
More to come later...
Monday, July 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey...Nice Historical facts...beautiful epic landscapes...But you know what this blog needs?
More pictures of GOATS!!! Goats and cute Israeli boys!!!
Love ya,
Crae
Post a Comment